Here’s how Solve It! Friday works:
1. Each Friday morning (by 12:00 AM Central Time), I will post one problem-solving task.
2. Before the next Friday, use the task with your students.
3. Have students solve the problems individually or with a group.
4. Individual students or student groups create posters using numbers, pictures, and words to illustrate the solutions. Note: The blank backs of old book covers make great poster paper!
5. Either via a math talk session or a gallery walk, be sure to have students share their responses with other students.
Solution: The real beauty of this task is in the process. Please emphasize that with your students. It may take some time to solve this problem. Validate their efforts and ask questions to move them in a different direction if needed. For your convenience, I have provided the solution below:
#RMTSolveItWeek86: The values are as follows: Bird = 4, Penguin = 5, Hat = 3, Snowflake = 2.