It’s back!! Math Picture Books to Love is my favorite series of the year and has become a February special edition of Transformation Tuesday. Read more about how to use picture books to engage your students and read about my favorite picture books to use when I am teaching specific math content and skills here.
Pigs on a Blanket by Amy Axelrod
Target Skill(s): Elapsed Time
Book Synopsis: The book is about a family of pigs who are traveling to the beach. While traveling, they encounter a few obstacles and take a great deal of time before being ready to swim at the beach. When they are finally ready to swim, they find the beach is already closed.
Math Involved: Determining elapsed time
Questions to Ponder:
- What time did the pigs decide to go to the beach?
- How long did the piglets take to get ready to leave?
- How much longer did Mrs. Pig take to get ready to leave than the piglets?
- How much time did Mr. Pig take to get ready to leave?
- What time did the pig family get in the car?
- How long did it take Mr. Pig to find the car keys?
- How long did the pig family drive before reaching the railroad crossing?
- What time was it when the train finished crossing?
- Why did Mr. Pig have to make a U-turn?
- How much time did the pig family loose while Mr. Pig visited with the police officer?
- What time did the pig family arrive at the beach?
- How long did Mr. Pig take to get the food?
- How long did the pig family take to eat?
- How long did the pig family take to digest their food?
- What time was it when the pig family was ready to swim?
- How long did it take the pig family to drive to the beach?
- How much longer did it take than it should have taken for the pig family to arrive at the beach?
This is another great book to include as a station activity because students can read the book, determine the total amount of time that elapses on the pig family’s trip to the beach, and use it to determine why the pig family did not get to swim at the beach. In addition, as a challenge, students can rewrite the pig family’s trip, cut-out unnecessary time, and help them make it to the beach with at least 1 and a half hours to swim.
Book Link on Amazon: http://bit.ly/PigsOnABlanket