Grade Level: This activity is suitable for students in grades 3 – 6. However, second graders should be able to complete the first puzzler.
Objective: Determine the mystery number
Task: Write down the numbers 0-9. Read each clue. Use the clues to eliminate numbers until the mystery number is found.
Ways to Utilize the Activity: This is a great starter activity that emphasizes important math terms. Display this on your projector for optimal quality and allow students to determine the mystery number. Then, as a class, discuss ways to approach the task. Ask questions such as:
- How do you determine what numbers to eliminate with each new clue?
- What is another way to say, “not an odd number”?
- What does it mean to be “more than” or “less than” a number? Is the endpoint included or not included? Explain.
- What does it mean to be between two numbers? Are the endpoints included? Explain.
- What vocabulary do you need to know to eliminate numbers after reading this clue? (indicate a specific clue)
This number puzzler can be included on a math menu or used on a menu of problem solving station options.
Solutions: Puzzler 1 = 6, Puzzler 2 = 7, Puzzler 3 = 4
Challenge: Have students create their own puzzlers. Increase the challenge by giving students the mystery number in advance and having them develop a puzzler to arrive at the mystery number.
Note: You can download this freebie here.