Tune Time- Math songs are a great way to differentiate instruction for your auditory learners, as well as, present your math curriculum in a fun and engaging way. There are a variety of ways to integrate songs into your everyday math program:
* teach/ reinforce a concept
* provide a brain break for the students
* encourage the memorization of a skill
* extend a challenge for students to create their own math songs
There are many resources available for songs. A quick Google search will bring up a plethora of songs and videos. Here are a few resources that I would like to share:
- Kay Smitherman also has some great song books called Math Notes. You can check them out at www.amazon.com. I love her measures of central tendency song. When I assess this skill, I can see and hear some of the students singing it to themselves.
The song below is from Lory’s 2nd Grade Page. It’s a great song to reinforce the different ways that we represent time.